Anne of Green Gables was my favorite book/series in middle school. Oh, how I loved Anne! The other night, Sydney checked out the DVD from the library, sending me down memory lane. It's amazing how feelings from middle school come rushing back as the story is retold. I was so glad.In the beginning scenes, Matthew is discussing with Marilla whether or not they should keep Anne. They had, after all, asked for a boy to help in the fields. Marilla argues, "We don't need her!" to which Matthew replies, "But she needs us." (Insert my tears.)
This is where a lot of us enter the adoption process, I think. It is where we did. We were thinking of how so many kids "need" us.In the final scenes of the movie, Matthew and Marilla are watching Anne travel away to college. Of course, their hearts are breaking when Marilla states, "We needed her, Matthew. We needed her so much." (Even more tears!)
As we've traveled this much of the road, I have realized this very truth. While we initially set out to impact the world--or at least the life of one child--the process has challenged us to grow. It has forced us to see life with different eyes.


4 comments:
Oh precious. O.K. You gave me tears, too. That is such a true sentiment that we are shown our needs by reaching out to others in theirs. Now I want to read that series again!
Julie...I'm so glad that you left a comment on our blog. I feel like I haven't found many CWA families either. Maybe we could all keep in touch via email. Tiffany is the only other person that I have communicated with who is at our stage. My email is jmcollins05@hotmail.com. Email me soon and we'll get a group formed. We have waited 6 months TODAY for a girl referral. I only know that there is a family on the list that has waited 7 months. I am hoping that it happens before the 8 month mark. The other time frame that's so upsetting to me is the wait between referral and travel. Email me soon and we can share what we know...
I love remembering the things that you read growing up, who would have guessed the impact. I know I have learned that when I reach out I stop focusing on me and the impact of others and their effect on my life, unexpected. I know His blessings will rain down on you soon! Love, Mom
So true! Orphans are also made in the image and likeness of God, and we are touched by Him in a new way because Josh etered our lives. I look at him and marvel at the boy God created him to be. He's destined for greatness and we're overwhelmed that we'll get to see it all unfold.
Post a Comment